Friday, March 13, 2009

Move if you wanna, move, move

Food and music. My favorite things about traveling are discovering and enjoying both. The street musicians on every corner are phenomenal. The other are the street performers and the (dirty South!) hip hop. Walking through stately Jackson Square. I’m greeted by a loudspeaker, broadcasting the familiar scrrrrratch of a record then bass, as the song transitions into Mim’s “Move if you wanna move, move…”

He’s spinning – on his elbow – as is body twirls over his head faster than I thought possible. Around and around he goes, while the other two do flips, back and forth, and then stop! They breakdance and stop, move and stop, speed through mind-numbing stunts to the beat of the song. Choreographed battle, schooling the movie kids in "Step Up"--they bounce off the hard concrete as if their appendages were rubber, a street-dance scene like no other. I instinctively reach for my Nikon. Only to realize I’d forgotten it. Damn…

So I guess you can watch “Move if you wanna move…” and see if you get the idea, the real-life show was WAY cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment